1) how many words you write each day, and
2) how much time you spend writing those words.
Begin recording this in a spreadsheet. Watch those numbers over the next month or two and I bet you will see them go up (this is the motivation factor).
Some other fun things your can do with them:
- Determine which schedule works best for you--are you more productive writing in the evening, or morning?
- Determine which environment words best--did you write more at the library, or the coffee shop?
- Determine how long it takes you to complete a project--if you have never measured this before it will be illuminating.
- I do not suggest you calculate your net hourly income from your writing as for most writers this will be depressing. Still, it can be calculated if you keep good metrics.
Here are two snapshots of my own metrics, and if there is interest I can post more advanced metrics advice (maybe even spreadsheet design tips...):