Friday, August 13, 2010

Write-a-thon

At the start of a week-long writing spree. The plan is simple: write until I drop each day.

 
Had some trouble deciding what to focus on as I have just completed a long project and have not ramped up the next project.

 
Options are:
  • Short story spree -- crank out ~5 short stories to polished form and submit.
  • Start revision of YA Steampunk book
  • Write rough draft of MG mystery
  • Write rough draft of YA mystery
 

Each of these has appeal:

 
Short stories: I have not refreshed my list in a while, and I only have one pending publication in the queue, so I really should sell more shorts this year to keep my name work in front of people. I also have a serious idea backlog for short stories.

 
YA Steampunk: Rough draft is done. It’s a good story. Needs revised before anyone sees it. Completing this will give me two saleable books.

 
MG Mystery: Based on Doofus, this short book will be a fun Middle-Grade mystery. This too would give me a second book to sell, and I *might* be able to complete a draft during the write-a-thon.

 
YA Mystery: A new project. I have done a little exploratory writing with these characters and the setting (contemporary high school), but the outline is little more than a three page sketch and some character write ups. Would be fun, but unlikely to get through a draft.


 
And the winner is:

 
YA Steampunk. At this point in my writing career, getting a few books to market and to print is crucial. This seems to be the best fit from that perspective, it is a rich world begging for a series, and by sprinting on this project I might have a marketable version (~2 more drafts) by the end of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment