|Sleigh won't start -- get the bikes|
There have been a number of special events this week, including:
- Cirque de Glace -- the women’s soiree I mentioned earlier.
- Caroling, including our own version of the twelve days of Christmas (laden with penguins, skuas, and C-17s).
- Snowflake day in the arts & crafts room, which were then used to decorate the galley.
- A local production of “A Charlie Brown Christmas”
- Christmas movies.
- A town party held in the vehicle maintenance bay.
- Several departmental parties.
- Decorations on the streets.
- Spamming people’s doors
- Giving people little gifts.
- Many people wearing Santa hats or dressing in holiday clothes & costumes (several janos have been dressed as elves the last few days).
- Getting smashed (the bars have been packed to the gills all week).
|Pegasus Airfield under layer of ice fog|
Guess the South Pole elves win again…the little Grinches
For me personally, it is the never-ending day and the lack of children that makes it seem very not like Christmas. There is no cold winter evening with glowing lights, a cheery fire, hot chocolate and a sparkling tree. Nor are there giggling children begging to open presents early, while writing a letter to Santa and putting out milk and cookies. What we do have are a lot of tired, lonely people trying to keep their spirits up a very, very long way from home.